Sunday, June 13, 2010

Growing Up


Lately I have been feeling like Samuel is growing up fast. I occasionally find myself looking at him and see this amazing little boy and wonder how he got so old. I am not sure if it is because I am comparing him to Oliver but he just seems so grown up these days.

  • The other morning he quietly picked out his clothes, got dressed (including shoes), and said very proudly "I'm ready to go"
  • He focus is increasing tremendously--he will stand at his easel, do his "homework", check his "schedule", or just draw for more extended times
  • He was doing some addition/subtraction the other day
  • He opens the car door, gets in, and puts on his seatbelt completely on his own
  • At dinner the other night he turned to Kevin and I and asked, "So, how was your day at work?".
  • He lays on the ground, looking up at the clouds, and announces all the fun shapes he sees
  • He writes his name with all the correct letters (mostly)
  • He can swing himself without a starter push
Now I don't want to overlook the fact that he is very good at being three and all that entails--irrational thought processes, insisting on getting his way, thinking everything is up for negotiation, and having a VERY CLEAR way everything must be done/redone until it is correct.

But, it is fun to have a child that can carry on a pretty good conversation, laugh at some appropriate jokes, ask good questions, and who makes me stop and think about the good things in life.