Easter was enjoyable this year. Samuel loved getting his Easter basket and hiding/finding eggs. We are still having fun finding eggs in various places around the house.
Samuel dyed eggs in 2 different rounds. His first round he was infatuated with the pink dye. Despite my best attempt at using all the colors, every egg ended up in the pink container. The second round I prepare 5 bowls of colors. Just when we were getting started Oliver needed my attention (the story of my life right now!). I left Samuel with a dozen eggs and instructions to dye each of them (I know, probably not the best idea). A few minutes later I walked in and he had mixed all the colors (essentially making 5 bowls of brown) and he hadn't touched an egg yet! Who knew that a bowl of colors would entertain him for so long!
Easter Sunday we had our annual church potluck and Easter egg hunt. Unfortunately, we got rained our of the big hunt. We settled for a chaotic hunt inside a small room with many little kids.
Samuel was very interested in the actual meaning of Easter this year. We had a great Lent series on the different faces of Jesus and this prompted a lot of discussion about Jesus and his life. Samuel has also had a growing interest in death and dying in general (I think something he picked up at preschool). We had talked with him about Easter in pretty vague terms. But, on the ride to church he kept us on our toes with question after question. Why did Jesus die? Why did people not like Jesus? How long will Jesus be dead? What does it mean to have Jesus in our heart? This conversation ended with Samuel thinking maybe Jesus was living in his throat!
I love having Samuel begin to put together bigger concepts. It is so enjoyable to watch him think, ask questions, be silent for a bit, and then ask some wonderful follow up questions. However, I have to admit it is quite challenging as a parent. Having to answer these big questions makes me stop and wonder how I explain to a three-year old concepts that I barely understand myself! I suppose this is only the beginning...