Oliver is growing so fast! It has been a long time since I posted just about Oliver.
We went to his well-child appointment today. He was quite uncooperative despite the doctors best attempt to calm him. He started by refusing to stand on the scale, then cried hysterically when she tried to listen to his lungs, and finally kicked like crazy when she attempted to check his tummy. It actually took both Kevin and I to hold him down so she could check his ears. His stats are a bit off because he would not allow any measuring of his height or head circumference. We agreed he must be growing taller since his pants are getting shorter (good thing we went to the doctor to verify this!). He gained a few pounds (25lbs) but is still only in the 30th percentile for weight and the 60th for height.
Besides the doctors appointment, Oliver is busy, busy, busy. From the minute he wakes up he is moving, exploring, and chatting. He keeps us on our toes and is trying hard to make us think about new, more effective parenting strategies.
Here are a few snapshots into life with Oliver:
~~This afternoon Kevin and I were working on some different tasks talking away while Oliver played with his kitchen. He had pushed the stool over so he could reach the microwave section which sits up higher. I remember thinking it is great that he plays so contently by himself and doesn't require eyes on him at all times. About halfway through this thought I glanced to find Oliver standing on the top part of the kitchen about 4 above the ground. Mind you the top is only about 12 inches by 6 inches wide.
~~We all had just arrived home from school. I was putting Oliver's shoes away in the closet and turned to find him stuffing tons of paper into the fireplace through the grate. After getting him away from the fireplace I started to clean up. As I was cleaning up, I heard Samuel yelling. "Oliver, don't put that in the toilet". I went to investigate and found Oliver had put Samuel's mini-computer in the toilet while Samuel was peeing.
~~There is no inbetween with Oliver. Whatever it is he either really likes it or really dislikes it. Take music in the car. He is either dancing and singing along or screaming "no, no, no" to whatever song is playing.
~~Oliver only eats occasionally. Yes, we find he really only eats every third day when the wind is blowing a certain direction. If the elements aren't exactly correct he tends to just throw the food on the floor.
~~Oliver is the dancing king. Any music (even a cell phone ring) makes his right arm bob up and down and his left leg start tapping. He LOVES dance parties.
~~Hours and hours are spent watching our home videos on the computer. He laughs hysterically at certain videos as if he is re-living the event.
~~Verbal is coming but still not completely there. He does think if he says something louder and more times we'll figure out what he's saying. So far, we understand the following words: mama, dada, grandpa, sit down, Anna, choo-choo, juice, ball, two.
~~Oliver counts only using the number 2. It is hilarious to listen to. Samuel will count down from 5--Oliver will say "2" five times. Ask Oliver how many blocks he has and he always replies "two". Everytime we get in the car he wants "two" tic-tacs. Generally he is holding up both index fingers while saying "twwooo".
~~Oliver has the best smile and a seriously contagious laugh. It is such fun to sit at the table and watch him make everyone laugh.
| First Haircut (not a fan) |
| The balloon helped make it better. |
| Bumper cars with his new plasma car |
| Watching home videos |
| Playing outside |